Sunday, 10 February 2013

Facing the truth?

Here's the thing.  I see no light at the end of the tunnel.  With extinction rates, going through the roof, with phytoplankton in decline, with fish species on the verge of collapse and with our rubbish contaminating marine life.  With the arctic melting and corporations waitng to plunder the fish and fossil fuels which this exposes,with the ongoing ecocide of the Alberta Tar Sands, with our current "who dies with the best toys wins" paradigm I see no real hope. 
While there are some positives, such as a bacteria which may well prove vital, and our politicians finally addressing our exploitation of the marine ecosystem, I think the key issue is that there is no real challenge to our basic consumption model.  

There is no way that, with 7 billion of us on the planet, "consumption-lite" will do it.  Our windfarms, our eco-cars and our fairtrade silver still consume vast resources.  it is more than our livliehoods at stake. It is the lives of our children and all the other non-human individuals. 

As someone who has tried and continues to try the lifestyle approach, trying to live more simply and lower impact.  I have to face the fact that I am still part of the problem.  I still want my electricity and my computer and my water from the tap, my books and my Zapatista coffee. 

Our capitalist, industrial and urban society is the problem. and it will not stop.  I  do not believe that we have the time for a mass consciosness change.  I think that with ecosystems on the verge of collapse and global change looming, maybe the Deep Green Resistance have it right, maybe the time has come for us to fight for the future? 

5 comments:

  1. I just spent the weekend reading 'The Moneyless Manifesto' and have come a way feeling that consumption-lite, as you put it, is not likely to cut it. There is some small hope in such movements, but clearly most people (myself included I suspect) are just not ready for it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Goo. Yes I have been feeling very cynical and bleak (as I am sure you can tell) I Have been reading the Deep Green Resistance book and with the news and the govt "dash for gas" I am more and more of the opinion that the DGR are right and we must be militant. I do not see how else we will be able to face our children. This news today, for example http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-edinburgh-east-fife-21433331 does not give me much hope

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mmm! Have you ever seen that video of Derrick Jensen retelling the Star Wars story? The one where all the nice people have positive thoughts and write polite letters to Darth Vader asking him if he would kindly not blow up their planet! Food for thought -you are clearly not alone.

      Delete
  3. Goo I have seen Derek Jensen taliking about the Star Wars Story in the vid I posted a few posts back. I think the thing for me is when you look at history how often have thos in power willingly given it up? We often hear about Ghandi, but he wrote to Hitler asking him to stop.... The real issue for me is do we have time? I do not think that we have time for the "great turning" to come. if the oft quoted statistic of 200 species per day going extinct is true, can we wait? I look at the arctic melting with all the methane and the deforestation and all the other horrors we perpetrate in our genocidal war against nature. Then I look at the people around me and consider the corporate and government and I honestly think that we will not make the change in time. I think that militancy is our only chance.

    ReplyDelete
  4. unsurprisingly, I suppose it appears that in the Loch Fitty case, SEPA went against the findings of its own experts to allow Scottish Coal to drain the loch and extend the St Ninians opencast mine http://www.heraldscotland.com/news/environment/watchdog-under-fire-for-allowing-loch-to-be-drained-for-coal-mine.20021958
    and it is perhaps worth noting that the Loch is a place for fishing for Brown Trout and so perhaps the low water quality claim by SEPA is suspect. I suppose this relates to my point of corporate and state co-operation that quote atributed to Mussolini springs to mind about fascism being more properly called corporatism. When this sort of thing is going on how can we really have hope that our governments and the corporations will "see the light" and that is without even addressing the commodification of nature.
    I have to say it is always good to discuss with you Goo and also others, however bleak

    ReplyDelete