Wednesday, 13 March 2013

What!

I don't know if I am completely off the wall here?   As you know I have real concerns about the melting of the permafrost and the release of the methane locked up as methane clathrate. 
It seems Japan has no such qualms....
Japan has demonstrated the ability to extract and burn the Methane Hydrate off shore and plans to develop this to meet (at least part of) its energy needs. I believe that this is in part driven by their need, after Fukushima, to find alternate ways of fueling their energy "needs" and in trying to be less dependent on importing energy. 
I know that we produce methane from other sources such as coal mining, fracking, landfill and agriculture, and that in burning the methane we reduce it's greenhouse gas effect considerably (it still produces CO2).  My big concern is leaks and disruption to the methane hydrate,  presumably some care will be taken but  this just seems like SUCH a bad idea to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment